Planning for Discharge
Planning for when you leave Hospital
Before coming in to hospital for your surgery, you need to think about how you will manage when you go home. This helps to minimise delays, once you are medically fit to leave hospital i.e. when you are “discharged”.
Prior to coming in for surgery, you will have been told the maximum time you can expect to stay in hospital. Your surgeon and nurse will confirm your day of discharge with you after you have had your surgery.
Planning ahead will make for a much easier transition between hospital and home, so we encourage you to consider the following:
- If you live alone, arrange to have a responsible adult stay with you, or arrange to stay with family or friends. If this is not possible, you may need to consider alternatives such as short term accommodation in a rest home.
- For those who provide care for other dependents, you may need to consider making alternative arrangements in the short term.
- Preparing meals ahead of your admission and freezing them can make it easier to manage when you return home.
- If you will need to use crutches or have restricted movement, think about the placement of furniture and rugs at home. The location of everyday items such as saucepans and crockery may need to be changed ready for your return home.
- Many people are surprised at the time it takes to recover from an operation even if it is a minor procedure. It is common to feel tired and you may need to set aside some time in the day to rest.
- Please make sure you have arranged for a relative or friend to drive you home from hospital on the day you are discharged; you will not be able to drive yourself.
If you would like to discuss your care requirements following discharge please contact the Pre-Admissions Nurse, phone (03) 464-0107, extension 3819
The hospital discharge time is between 10am - 11am. This is very important as it allows us time to prepare the room for the next patient. Please ensure you have transport arranged for the day and time of discharge. Discharge after 11am for other than medical reasons, will incur an additional fee.