I am a trained Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in spinal surgery of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. I have major interests in adult and paediatric spinal deformity, degenerative, trauma and tumour surgery.
I head the Scoliosis Unit (children's spinal deformity) at Dunedin Hospital with tertiary referral basis through the South Island. The scoliosis service has been recognised by the American Scoliosis Research Society when I was made an International Fellow of the Society in 1999.
My other areas of specialty include adult bone and joint reconstruction (hip and knee joint replacement) along with general orthopaedic sports medicine (arthroscopic surgery of the knee, hip and shoulder).
QualificationsMB ChB 1980 Auckland; Dip Obst 1981 Auckland; FRACS 1987
Vocational ScopeOrthopaedic Surgery
Post Fellowship Training
- Exeter, United Kingdom, 1988 (Bone and Joint Reconstruction Fellowship)
- Munich, Germany, 1989 (Orthopaedic Trauma Fellowship)
- University of Witswatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa 1989/1990 (Spinal Surgery Fellowship)
Positions and Memberships
- Visiting Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Dunedin Public Hospital
- Visiting Orthopaedic and Scoliosis Surgeon, Christchurch Public Hospital
- Clinical Lecturer, University of Otago
- Foundation Member New Zealand Spine Society (New Zealand Pedicle Club)
This information has been provided by https://www.healthpoint.co.nz, helping people better understand and use New Zealand health services.