- Gastroenterology Otago Limited
- Specialist for Gastroenterology (Germany) 2005
- Specialist for Internal Medicine (Germany) 2003
I came to Dunedin with my family in 2005 having gained medical experience in the US, UK and Germany. My daughters attend Columba College and my wife studies tourism.
Areas of Specialisation
I specialise in all aspects of gastroenterology and provide consultation services as well as interventions in a safe, individualised and friendly relaxing environment.
I have a special interest in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis) both from a basic and clinical research perspective as the leader of a basic science laboratory at the University of Otago and Primary Investigator for several international pharmaceutical trials. Together with Margaret Fraser, Hepatitis Specialist Nurse, I provide individualised treatment for Hepatitis B and C.
Further areas of expertise:
- 2005 to date – Consultant Gastroenterologist, Otago District Health Board, Dunedin
- 2004-2005 – Consultant Gastroenterologist, Department of Internal Medicine, KKH Wasserburg am Inn, Germany
- 1998-2004 – Clinical and Research Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine 1, University of Regensburg, Germany
- 1996 – 1998 – Research Fellow, Department of Gastroenterology, Division of Digestive Diseases, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
- 1994 -1996 – House Officer and Senior House Officer, Department of Medicine, Greenwich District Hospital, London, UK
- 1994 – House Officer, Department of Medicine, Renal Unit, Withington Hospital, Manchester, UK
Positions and Memberships
- Associate Professor and Gastroeneterologist, Dept of Medicine, Dunedin School of Medicine
- Consultant Gastroenterologist, Southern District Health Board, Dunedin Hospital
- Member of the NZ Society for Gastroenterology (on the Executive Committee since 2008)
- Member of ECCO (European Crohn’s and Colitis Organsisation)
- Member of the German Association of Internal Medicine (DGIM)
- Member of the German Gastroenterological Association (DGVS)
- Member of the German Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation (DCCV)
Waiting Times and Fees
Waiting times are flexible and based on urgency. Routine appointments can be made within 4 weeks. For fee enquiries, please contact Heike Schultz at Suite 7.
Gastroenterology Otago Limited is an Affiliated Provider with Southern Cross Healthcare and accredited by Quality Endoscopy New Zealand.