Southern Community Laboratories
Southern Community Laboratories has been providing medical laboratory diagnostic services in Otago since 1960. Until 1994 it was known as Medical Laboratory Dunedin Ltd and before that the laboratory practice of Drs Perry and Fitzgerald.
Marinoto Clinic, Mercy Hospital, 72 Newington Avenue, Dunedin
Telephone - (03) 470 2919
Telephone - 0800 101 444
What do medical diagnostic laboratories do?
Medical diagnostic laboratories carry out tests for patients who have been seen by general practitioners, specialists and midwives in private practice. Patients need to have tests to confirm the health professional's diagnosis or to exclude certain conditions which may be harmful. Some of the common tests are:
- Blood Tests: looking for anaemia and other blood disorders.
- Checking alterations in the blood chemistry which may help the doctor diagnose and treat illness.
- Checking for immunity to Hepatitis and Rubella and for pregnancy associated changes.
- Urine Tests: checking for infection and the correct treatment for the bacteria causing infection.
- Cervical Smears: to find cell changes which may lead to cancer of the cervix if left untreated.
OTAGO AND SOUTHLAND PATIENT SERVICES CENTRES
Southern Community Laboratories has many Patient Services Centres around our region – details and operating hours of these are shown below.
- Marinoto Clinic, Mercy Hospital, 72 Newington Avenue: 8am-4.20pm Mon-Fri
- Dunedin Hospital, Ground Floor Clinic: 7.30am-4.50pm Mon-Thur; 7.30am-4.20pm Fri
- 18 Filleul Street: 7.00am-5.20pm Mon-Fri; 9.00am-11.20am Sat
- 67 Hillside Road: 7.30am-4.20pm Mon-Fri
- Mosgiel Medical Centre, 21 Inglis St, Mosgiel: 8.00am-3.50pm Mon-Fri
- Mornington Health Centre, 169 Eglinton Road: 8.00am-4.50pm, Mon-Fri
- Green Island Dental Centre, 187a Main South Rd, Green Island: 10.00am-10.50am Mon-Fri
- Oamaru Hospital Clinic, 8 Steward Street: 7.30am-5.30pm, Mon-Fri
- 3 Gray Street, Frankton: 8.00am-5.30pm Mon-Fri; Sat by appointment
- Queenstown Medical Centre, 9 Isle Street: 8.00am-12.30pm & 1.00pm-4.30pm, Mon-Fri
- Dunstan Hospital Laboratory, 24 Hospital Street: 8.30am-5.30pm Mon-Fri; Sat by appointment
- Clutha Health First, 9-11 Charlotte Street: 8.30am-4.20pm Mon-Fri
- Gore Hospital, 9 Birch Lane: 8.30am-1.00pm & 1.30pm-5.00pm Mon-Fri
- Gore Medical Centre, 12 Eccles Street: 8.00am-12.30pm Mon-Fri
- Southland Hospital, First Floor: 8.00am-5.00pm Mon-Fri
- 78 Don Street: 7.00am-5.30pm Mon-Fri; 9.00am-11.30am Sat
- 270 Elles Road: 8.00am-12.00pm Mon-Fri
- 28 Windsor Street: 8.00am-2.00pm Mon-Fri